Now, I may be being a little bit too optimistic but I have put together my picks of books to take on holiday. I think as mums we all know we have the intention of reading a good book on holiday, which we’ve had sitting on our bedside table waiting to be opened for months. It doesn’t always happen, but if you have a moment here are some ideas for titles which may be of interest.
1. Inside Vogue: My Diary of Vogue’s 100th Year by Alexandra Shulman – diaries are a great way of relaxed reading. Alexandra Shulman’s is definitely a book for anyone interested in fashion and for a bit of “behind-the-scenes” into the daily life of a great editor.
2. The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters by Charlotte Mosley – I read this year’s ago and have leant it to a friend. Another relaxed read, this book brings the decadent and whirlwind world of the Mitford Sisters’ lives an intimacy with the ups and downs of their time.
3. Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King by Antonia Fraser – I love any book written by Antonia Fraser (my guilty pleasure is reading historical biographies!). After watching “Versailles” on BBC2 with all the drama and glamour I wanted to know more and this book is a clever way of explain gin how Louis XIV’s character developed.
4. Standard Deviation by Katherine Heiny – this book is based around marriage and parenting with a look at how life evolves and the choices one makes. Written in a funny and observant way, this is an easy Summer read.
5. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood – another read inspired from the TV. This modern classic is an eery tale of women becoming property in a modern day context.