I love it when I can get some veggies into food where the kids will least expect to find them. I know some people feel we should celebrate the vegetable but with my kids sometimes it’s best they are hidden.
This muffin recipe is simple to make, has no sugar and are yummy for the kids to munch on (they are rather delish with a cup of tea too!).
- 150g Self raising Flour (I use brown self raising but you can use white or a mixture of both)
- 60g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- Splash of milk
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 50g raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (Gas Mark 5) and lightly grease a muffin tray or line with muffin cases.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the cinnamon and mix together, making a well in the centre.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, grated carrots, orange zest and juice.
- Melt the butter gently in a pan and then add to the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour this mixture into the flour and fold in. Add a splash of milk if required to create a soft, dropping consistency. You can add the raisins at the point and stir in.
- Divide the mixture into the muffin tray (it makes 8-10 muffins).
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until springy and golden.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!